Sunday, January 27, 2013

Winter at Hollywood Beach Lake Ronkonkoma

From Hollywood Beach, looking toward St Mary's Church. The lake is frozen and Tony Perna is waxing the blades on his Ice Boat. LOL. The patch of woods in the upper right hand corner of the photo is where another alumni went to sleep after a long night on the town. LOL.



















Photo of Raynors Park Looking across the road from what we know as Hollywood Beach. Hollywood Beach is currently called Ronkonkoma Beach.


 
 

















What was at the top of the stairs?




















Comment From John Hall:
Hello Ben (and Marie)

Thank you for the outstanding work you do in keeping the communications going in our Sachem family.  I rarely comment on the blog and I'm not into facebook, but the blog brings back so many memories of the good times growing up.  I graduated academically last in the class of 1961; it was Mr. Sacks and Mr. Bellofatto who guided me in my life.  They were more than teachers; they were my male mentors since I was raised by a divorced mother.  Failing out of Suffolk Community College my first semester they continued to advise me when I was no longer in high school.  Years later I maintained a 4.0 average at the University of Maryland in Heidelberg, Germany campus.  Many of our teachers are gone, but will never forget them and their dedication to their profession.

Regards John

Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 08:35:19 -0800


Our Thanks to Google/ Blogger for Hosting Our Site Also! LEFT CLICK "COMMENTS" BELOW TO VIEW ALUMNI COMMENTARY. LEFT CLICK "OLDER POSTS," AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO SEE MORE!

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:38 PM

    If those stairs are across shore drive from where Raynors beach/pavillion was,,then there was a hotel up on that hill in the 1920's till about 1955

    Ben I have no idea where that Ice boat is now...Last time I saw it, I gave my half to Bobby Maracia. it was from summerkept at Degenarro's beACH HOUSE, underneath where the stuff was stored.
    Tony Perna

    ReplyDelete
  2. From Bill Colmer:
    I remember all those years at the Lake. I actually started to go to Raynors beach when I lived in East Meadow. That is how my parents found our house in Lake Ronkonkoma in the early 50’s. When we move to the Lake back then Sachem did not have a senior high school and Gatelot used to be known as Sachem. I remember many great years there. I can still remember meeting Don Wooley for the first day as a phys Ed teacher . Before that it was Mr. Rothenberg and Mr Kreutzer. My favorite teacher was Mr. Lombardi, although there were many you consider special especially Bernie Brisson. Wonderful memories



    Bill Colmer

    Class of 1961

    ReplyDelete
  3. From Deanna Mauch:

    You are right. I really enjoy reading all the happenings and especially seeing the beach at Lake Ronkonkoma. It does bring back many memories. Thank you all for sharing. I hope to hear more about the Class of '63 reunion. Last word was that it is scheduled for August 3rd. Does anyone have more info? We would like to plan to be there.

    Keep as warm as you can. We're still having balmy weather in Florida. It's a wonderful place to warm up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brenda Sichenzia7:42 AM

    ATTENTION CLASSES 1959-1962: I need more of you to respond to the proposed reunion to be held in late July of 2014 at one of the resorts in Pennsylvania. To date, only a handful of you have responded and I need more of you in order to determine the venue and to negotiate with the resort re price, activities, etc. I know you think it is too early to think about 2014, but it takes a great deal of organization and planning to put a reunion together. Please e-mail me at bsichenzia@cgsh.com and put Sachem in the subject line so that your message will not get automatically deleted. Hope to hear from many more of you.

    ReplyDelete

WRITE YOUR COMMENT FIRST --- Left click SELECT PROFILE --- Left click NAME/URL --- Type your name --- CONTINUE --- then PUBLISH.