Sunday, September 01, 2013


Sachemites Bocce Ball Tournament
Ben Vitale

 Photo Credit: Ben Vitale

Sachem alumni John Vitale and Ben Vitale challenged two members of the internationally renowned Italian Bocce Ball Squadra, over the Labor Day weekend.  Frank and Larry are two seasoned Bocce Ball players from Italy.

At the beginning of the game I found myself treating the Bocce Ball like a Bowling Ball; that didn’t work very well. Half way through the game the score was 11 to 1 in favor of the Italian team; the prognosis of winning was grim! LOL.

My brother john and I noticed that the Italian team members were skilled at putting both a vertical, and horizontal spin on the Bocce Ball. Ah Ha! That’s the secret! Re-cycling some of the techniques from  Baseball, John and I finally managed to get a few additional points.

Tensions built as we approached the end of the game. John and I used some Baseball throwing techniques that we had learned from watching Joe DiMagio, in Ebbets field,  Brooklyn, NY. The Italian team ultimately won with a score of 21 to 19. Not bad for two Sachem High School Alumni, from Lake Ronkonkoma, that were born in Brooklyn, NY. LOL

On September, 28, 2013, Bocce Ball Champion Frank Bosco, together with another team mate Carmine Franzese, go on to win another Bocce ball competition, the "Saint Liberata International Bocce Ball Championship;" which was held in Patchogue, NY. 

Frank told me that some day he will show me the Bocce Ball trophies in his showcase!


 
I am now thoroughly convinced that the 19 points that John and I got in our original competition with Frank and Larry, were no accident; Frank and Larry gave them to us! LOL

LEFT CLICK "OLDER POSTS," AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS PAGE TO SEE MORE!

Our Thanks to Google/ Blogger for Hosting Our Site

No comments:

Post a Comment

WRITE YOUR COMMENT FIRST --- Left click SELECT PROFILE --- Left click NAME/URL --- Type your name --- CONTINUE --- then PUBLISH.