Friday, October 21, 2011

Does Anyone Remember the Telescope Hill Fire Tower?


(Formerly located on Tower Hill Avenue, off Berkshire Drive, in Farmingville, NY.)


You might want to read the very interesting article in Wikipedia, about this tower! I was always amazed that access to this tower was not restricted; the article at the link below explains why.


Be sure to Left Click the photo of the tower on the left side of the page, to make it larger.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telescope_Hill

Be sure to read the comments below

*
From Judi Lloyd:

Guess I'm odd man out. I didn't even know that it existed, much less climb it.


Judi ;)

*
From Barbara Schwinn:
Hi I do remember the fire tower Bettyann and I would climb to the top; often it was also a good place in the summer for a snack of blueberrys . The bushes were all around the tower; the fire ranger would show us how to use the map to locate fires. It was fun to go up to the top of the tower; it was the tallest place to be. B

*
From Georgette LaPierre Chimene:
1970-72, I lived on Highview Ave. If this is the same tower I believe it was right behind our house. We use to get radio signals and conversations on our TV transmitted from the tower. It was quite annoying especially during football games.

What a View from our front door looking toward the sound!


Georgette LaPierre Chimene, '64
*
From Ben Vitale:
Georgette


The original Fire Tower was removed in 1960 and replaced with a Radio Tower. I looked at the tower on Google Earth and determined that the tower that is currently there is indeed a radio tower. Sorry you missed the original tower; it had stairs and landings just like an apartment house; however it did not have any side walls. The view was magnificent! The grand finale was when you reached the top. which was a cabin; you had to crawl through a square hole to get into the cabin! Very scary! Ben
*
*
Thanks Ben for the update. Wish I was there back then. geo

*
From Fran Rodriguez Steidel:
Kenny, You described our life in Farmingville in the 50's exactly as it was. I fondly remember you and everyone else from way back then. Fran Rodriguez Steidel


BLAST FROM THE PAST
By Ken Muzzonigro
While a boy of the summer @ Farmingville bungalow ( 1948/1956 circa, outhouse, exterior water well w hand pump, dirt roads ), a riding academy ( horse stable ) was at base of the hills on Horse Block Road in Farmingville. Brooklyn family & relatives would come out for weekends & rent per hr horses w saddles for rides up the horse trail which terminated at the fire tower. Years thereafter, tower vacinity was utilized for evening rides up to the hills for submarine race watching ( hahaha ).
Ken M
*From Pat Brida:
Yes My brothers and I all climbed the tower. My grandparents had a house on Blue Point Rd in Selden. Its still there and in the early 50,s we would all go up the Hills. Not only was the tower there but so were the blueberries and blackberries. We use to fill pails full. Good ol days. Take care , Pat Brida


*
From Tony B
Hi Ben...First I'd like to thank you for your continued service to our Port Jeff/Sachem blogs... GREAT. Most recent article on Tower Hill brought back fond memories of climbing it (both my wife, Betty and I ) Was not aware it had been removed ... still thought it was there...Guess things DO change as evidenced by the end of Bald Hill Ski Bowl.... what a wonderful place. When we were there as teenagers it made you feel that you were someplace else.... up state N.Y or better yet the Alps !! Imagination... a wonderful thing... Thanks for bringing memories to life again...

Tony B

*
From Nancy:
Yes Many times lol ty for sharing

Nancy

*

From Joanie:
I remember climbing a tower with my cousin, Billy Lalla. It must have been that one but we thought it was a radio tower at the time and maybe it was.

Joanie

(Joan Lalla Gerson)
*
Ben Vitale:
Received many interesting comments. Just as I figured; everybody climbed that tower! What fun! I feel 50 years younger thinking of the tower! Ha! Ha!

Ben Vitale

*

From Tony Vitale:
That tower was a "right of passage," you had to show that you had enough B.... (expletive deleted) to climb the tower.

Tony V

*

I always thought that place was the "Happy Days Blueberry Hill"!

*

Does Anyone Remember the  Telescope Hill Fire Tower?
(Formerly located on Tower Hill Avenue,
 off Berkshire Drive, in Farmingville, NY.) 

You might want to read the very interesting article in Wikipedia, about this tower! I was always amazed that access to this tower was not restricted; the article at the link below explains why.

Be sure to Left Click the photo of the tower on the left side of the page, to make it larger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telescope_Hill

Our Thanks to Google/ Blogger for Hosting Our Site Also!
LEFT CLICK "COMMENTS" BELOW TO VIEW ALUMNI COMMENTARY.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:10 PM

    Ben, When I was in Jr. High school at Waverly ave School in 1956. two boys in my 7th grade class, donald Philhower and Ron Dione, Played hookie one day (They coaxed me into doing that)
    :o) We climbed that fire tower and ate our sandwiches up there we bought at Pellicia's Deli in Farmingville.
    Tony Perna '62

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:28 AM

    I remember climbing a tower with my cousin, Billy Lalla. It must have been that one but we thought it was a radio tower at the time and maybe it was.

    Joanie
    (Joan Lalla Gerson)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:07 PM

    Kenny, You described our life in Farmingville in the 50's exactly as it was. I fondly remember you and everyone else from way back then. Fran Rodriguez Steidel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous5:46 AM

    I remember a group of us, including Gail Johnsen, going on a bike hike through Farmingville and up to that tower. If I'm not mistaken, Gail led those of us who could sing and those who couldn't (me) in a rousing "Let us go a wandering . . ." It's where I figured out how to pronunce my name backwards! It's nice to have a memory like this tidkled alive again. Gail Tierney Griffith

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:52 AM

    I am reading "The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid" by Bill Bryson. It's about a boy growing up in the 50's Iowa, but it could just as well have been Long Island. There are so many spots in the book where I just burst out laughing. It triggered a lot of memories like the tower has. I saw the book at Costco recently. Enjoy! GTG

    ReplyDelete

WRITE YOUR COMMENT FIRST --- Left click SELECT PROFILE --- Left click NAME/URL --- Type your name --- CONTINUE --- then PUBLISH.